Thursday, February 10, 2011

When Beauty Tamed the Beast

by Eloisa James 374 pages

Linnet Berry Thrynne is a beauty whose sudden loss of reputation leaves her without marital prospects.  Before she can mourn her new status, she is packed off to Wales with instructions to woo Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant and a veritable beast.  Piers is happy with his bachelor doctor status and in no mood to change it.  Until Linnet's arrival turns his world upside down.

Eloisa James is one of my favorites for historical romance.  She mixes smart, unconventional characters with witty dialogue and sharp historical details.  That being said- this book is clearly a Ode to Fox's House. (see the author's note if you don't believe me!)  Since I share this TV crush, I'm willing to forgive James for borrowing a few character traits.  If you're looking for a fun romance, give this one a try.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love Hugh Laurie in anything (think Blackadder), and House is a favorite of mine too. I will have to give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *imagines Hugh Laurie / House in a period romance* Hee!

    ReplyDelete