Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors

2011/336pgs.

About the Book: Alice Amorous is the daughter of the Queen of Romance, so she knows a lot about romance, even if she's never really had a boyfriend. Everyone is waiting for the Queen's next novel, but the Queen is actually away in a hospital dealing with a mental illness, a secret that Alice is trying to keep from the public. When Heartstrings publisher's writes that the latest book is due-or else, Alice knows she has to deliver something.

While at a book signing for her mother, Alice meets Errol, a strange boy who claims to be Cupid. He tells Alice he has the ultimate love story to tell and that he needs her to write it. Could this be the story she's been looking for? And is Errol really the god of love or is Alice going crazy?

GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: I was drawn to this book because of the Cupid storyline. It reminded me a bit of the TV Show Cupid, which I watched in high school and loved.

While there is a plot with Cupid, this is more about Alice growing more confidant and learning she doesn't have to hide her mother's illness. A good portion of the book is about Alice's mother and her bipolar disorder and Alice learning how to live with it and realizing she can't always fix everything. I think this issue was handled well and it might appeal to readers who typically shy away from issue-driven novels since it's woven in with other plots.

I did feel that there was too much happening at times in the plot and that prevented things from really flowing. There were pieces that I felt just didn't fit or weren't as developed. I wanted more with Alice and her possible new love interest, Tony. I also wanted more with Errol and about Cupid's story since the parts that were there I really enjoyed. I did enjoy some of minor characters like Mrs. Bobot and Archibald-they were well done and fun to read.

Overall, it was an OK read. I think it would be a good pick for readers who might want romance, but don't like the typical gushy romance or readers who want a contemporary issue novel that's a bit lighter than the usual fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment