Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford

The Morgue and Me by John C. Ford  pp313
book jacket

This title is a 2011-2012 Gateway Award Nominee.  It's the unlikely story of 18 yr old Christopher, a smart, cute guy who lives more in his head than out in the world.  Christopher gets a job the summer before college and it's an unusual one.  He'll be cleaning the local morgue.  On his first day, he stumbles upon a mystery.  The dead man, whom the coroner has called "a suicide" has five bullet holes in his chest and there's a bunch of money in the coroner's drawer.  Christopher sets out to find out what really happened.  It's one of those stories that you could like if you suspend your "Yeah, right!" tendencies and I bet parents won't like the fact that 18 yr old Christopher is hanging out with an older woman, and popping open cans of beer with his friends with no real negative consequences.  But, the mystery itself is a pretty good one.  I usually figure out who done it way before the writer tells us but it took me longer this time.  That's a good thing.  Not my favorite cover and I don't think it's going to appeal to that many Gateway readers but what do I know?  So far I haven't gotten a single Gateway prediction correct-and I'm pretty good at predicting the Mark Twains. 
Kim F

No comments:

Post a Comment