Monday, February 7, 2011

"Fallout" by Ellen Hopkins

665 pages

This is the third and final book in the popular Crank series. It jumps to twenty years after the conclusion of the second book and shows how the children of the original main character are dealing with the consequences of their mother's drug abuse.

I can't decide how I feel about the Crank series. I think it's great that that the books show how bad drugs can be and how they can destroy the lives of abusers and their families. I also like the setup of "Fallout" because it allows us to see what has happened to Kristina while getting the fresh perspectives of the new characters. On the other hand, there's too much teen angst for me in this one, and I don't particularly like the format (which is the same for all three books). I think the author writes in verse to to make her books stand out and draw in kids who shy away from dense pages of text, but it was distracting for me at the parts where it reads more like regular prose but just has weird spacing and line breaks. But despite the distractions and angsty drama, the series held my interest throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment