Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Super Sad True Love Story" by Gary Shteyngart

331 pages

"Super Sad True Love Story" takes place in the near future. America's economy is falling apart and the government is controlled by a single party, but most citizens don't care because they'd rather shop online and try to raise their "hotness" rating (which is measured by a handheld device used by members of the opposite sex). Meanwhile, middle-aged Lenny Abramov falls in love with Eunice Park, a 20-something Korean-American he meets abroad. Even though she doesn't love him, she moves in with him back in the States after a bad breakup. She plans to stay only until she can get back on her feet, but of course things get more complicated. The perspective alternates between Lenny and Eunice, in the form of his journal and her "teening" (email) correspondence.

I enjoy dystopian lit, so the setting was the most interesting thing to me about this book. It seemed to me more like speculative fiction than science fiction because I could definitely picture this sort of future for our society--and I could see it happening in not-such-a-long time. Although the setting of this story held my attention, the plot itself did not. I didn't really like, care about, or connect with the characters, so it was difficult for me to get into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment