Monday, February 14, 2011

The Graveyard Book


by Neil Gaiman, 312 p., 2008.

Three things you should know:
1. Neil Gaiman is a god.
2. Neil Gaiman is a literary genius.
3. Neil Gaiman makes me swoon.

Since I've got that out of the way, I loved this book almost as much as I was terrified of it. We're introduced to Nobody Owens just as he's unwittingly escaping certain death at the hands (as sharp blade) of the man Jack. As luck would have it, the friendly neighborhood graveyard takes him in, shelters him, and offers the baby the protection of the graveyard. Neil Gaiman describes Bod's most unconventional upbringing amongst the alternative living: exploring the cemetery, making new friends, learning interesting lessons. But there is a darkness that his undead loved ones must hide from him: the man Jack that failed to kill him so many years ago is waiting for young Bod.

As usual, Neil Gaiman weaves a supremely intricate plot that doesn't fail to please. This guy is smart. You can't deny it. And he expects the same of his readers (really not too much to ask). Also, its a great introduction to classic literature. And why, pray tell, is that? Its dependence on the structure of Rudyard Kipling's the Jungle Book. (Get it? Jungle Book...Graveyard Book... Jungle .... Graveyard... book...) And how so? Boy's family is killed by mysterious, evil stranger. Boy is raised close by and yet so very far away. Boy finds a mentor is adopted home. Boy must defeat old foe. Boy must grow up and return to intended home. Whew.

In short: nicely done, Mr. Gaiman.

4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the book and fully support the label "intense love of Neil Gaiman". :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

    Your three things to know are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this book! I listened to part of it on audio and Neil Gaiman narrates-amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "alternative living." Ha!

    I so loved this story. But I'll admit to never getting the connection to "The Jungle Book." Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete