Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

I was crying or in tears from page thirteen. Really.

Mia, seventeen, is facing a lot of choices she isn’t sure she is ready to make. A gifted cellist, she has been invited to attend the Julliard School of Music in New York.  She just isn’t sure she can leave her exuberant, rock star family back in Oregon or Adam, the boyfriend she still can’t quite believe really loves her. When all the choices evaporate in an instant Mia has only one choice left to make. Should she stay or should she go?

This is not your typical Lurlene McDaniel sappy teen dealing with death book. It is complicated and solidly emotional. Through flashbacks into different times in Mia’s life we get a surprisingly detailed character study for such a slim tome. Readers who connect with empathetic characters and are ok with a high level of intensity, will find much here to make you reflect and appreciate. There is a sequel coming out in April: Where She Went. 2009, 201 pages.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book, too. I think I connected with it so much because I really fell in love with the characters and felt so much for them. I didn't realize that there's going to be a sequel--so good to know!

    ReplyDelete