Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library by Vicki Myron & Bret Witter and illustrated by Steve James

2009/40pgs.

About the Book: Dewey is a kitten who is found by a librarian. She decides that Dewey will live in the library. But just living in the library isn't enough-Dewey wants to help people and be a library cat!

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Oh Dewey. Your story was cute to start but now I'm a bit sick of you. You, like your canine counterpart Marley, have turned into a let's see how much money we can make off this animal marketing venue.

This picture book featuring Dewey might appeal to Dewey fans or cat lovers, but that's about it. I didn't really learn anything about Dewey's life, the story doesn't flow, and it really does read like a "let's see what else we can turn this Dewey story into it and milk it for all it's worth" type of book. The book starts out OK but then it turns into random snipppets about Dewey and doesn't ever really have a cohesive plot. Honestly, I'm not even sure how this made it onto the Show-Me Readers list, other than the fact that it takes place in the library. But there isn't much of a lesson typically found in books on the list.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed in this book.

2 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the cover, before I even read your review, I had the same thought! How much more are we going to hear about Dewey the library cat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I swear Dewey and Marley are taking over the animal memoir world!

    ReplyDelete