Friday, February 18, 2011

Muchacho by Louanne Johnson



The author of My Posse Don't Do Homework, which became the hit movie, Dangerous Minds, has this new book.  She's still writing about disadvantaged kids and this book is based on a true experience.  I loved it.  It's straightforward, not mushy, not preachy but optimistic and positive.  She references the book, The Four Agreements, which my friend, Erin, mentioned to me months ago.  Now I understand why Erin liked that book so much and it fits perfectly into this one.  The main character, Eddie, is in alternative school and seemingly doesn't care but a new teacher shows him a light and even though she leaves soon after, he remembers and begins to travel a new path.  This is a 2010-2011 Gateway Nominee and I'm hoping kids will pick it up. 
Kim F
197 pp

No comments:

Post a Comment