Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Singing Away the Dark by

2010/36pgs.

About the Book: A young girl who lives in the country must walk to the bus stop in the snow.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! It's beautiful, I could stare at the artwork all day and the story is lovely. I'm going out and buying this one for my personal library collection because that's how much I adored it.

Maybe I love it because the illustrations remind me of one of my favorite Etsy artists. They have a vintage feel to them, but the book doesn't feel dated at all. It really could take place in any time period.

Our narrator is only six and lives in a very snowy wooded area and has to walk a long way just to get to the bus stop. At first the task seems daunting and scary, but our narrator has learned to sing away the dark and by singing she's no longer afraid. It's a simple story and it's sweet, but the lyrical rhyming text make the book stand out. "When I was six and went to school/I walked a long, long, way.../I leave my house, so nice and warm, on a windy winter's day." Don't you just want to read more?

The illustrations, as I mentioned before, are gorgeous. The are filled with detail and the snow looks perfect and white and the woods dark and somewhat scary. But slowly throughout the darkness fades as our narrator becomes more brave.

A beautiful book-Highly recommended!!

No comments:

Post a Comment