Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peace Week in Miss Fox's Class by Eileen Spinelli, illustrated by Anne Kennedy

2009/32pgs.

About the Book: When Miss Fox has had enough of the fighting and arguing in her class she declares a peace week!

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Yep, it's another Show Me Readers Award nominee that is an OK book with a very heavy handed message. I can see this book being good to use in the classroom and you might be able to make your own peace week out of it. But the results of Miss Fox's peace week are almost too good to be true. (I guess that's why it's fiction!) The students all remember it's peace week, they all accept it's peace week and they all resolve their various arguments, sibling fights, and never say anything mean or rude. And by doing so they make new friends. Yes, it's a good message, but for me it was just a little too easy.

It's also one of the Show Me books that I think is very limited on age. It really is for 1st grade and I'm not sure has appeal all the way up the 3rd grade-I think 2nd and 3rd graders would be rolling their eyes at this story (or maybe I'm just too cynical).

No comments:

Post a Comment