Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield



If you liked Jane Eyre, The Castle of Otranto, Northanger Abbey or The Moonstone, you will enjoy this book which is filled with the same spirit.  Twists and turns, a house in disrepair, ghosts and the pall of madness can all be found in this tale.  Margaret Lea works for her father in an antique bookshop and dabbles in writing slight biographies, more essays than anything.  Then she receives a letter from the famous writer, Vida Winter, inviting her to become a biographer of Miss Winter's story, something many, many others have attempted.  All others were thwarted by Miss Winter but now, for some reason, Miss Winter is ready to tell all.  Just as the stories Vida Winter has woven for millions, her own story is full of mystery, sadness and loss.
I honestly had difficulty putting this book down.  I loved it and I hope you will allow yourself the opportunity to be sucked in, as I was.  It was a shame to reach the last page.
Kim F
pp 406

2 comments:

  1. I adored this book. I can't wait for Ms. Setterfield to complete her second novel. (It's been a looooong wait!)

    ReplyDelete