Monday, March 21, 2011

The Nightwood by Robin Muller

2010/32 pgs

About the Book: A young princess is enticed by the nearby woods that are enchanted by the elfin queen. There she meets a knight, Tamlynne, who she spends full moons dancing with and soon they fall in love. But the elfin queen doesn't give up her knights easily, so the princess must complete a test to save her love.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: The Nightwood is based on a Celtic Folktale. I wasn't familiar with the story of Tamlynne before reading the book, but I enjoy folktales so I thought I'd give it a try.

This is a picture book, but the text is long and the story fairly dark. Older readers who enjoy folktales and fairy tales might enjoy this one, but younger readers most likely won't sit still for the story. The illustrations are beautiful and what make the book. The story wasn't my favorite folktale and in fact I found it a bit boring. But the illustrations are worth picking up the book for-they are rich and detailed and colorful. A good read for fans of folktales.

No comments:

Post a Comment