Tuesday, March 22, 2011

For Just One Day by Laura Leuck, illustrated by Marc Boutavant

2009/32 pgs

About the Book: Young children imagine what they would be if they could transform themselves for just one day.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I was sold on this book the moment I picked it up. A bright sunshiny cover? Check! Retro illustrations? Check! Use of imagination? Check! So I expected to love it going in and I'm glad to say it held up to my expectations.

The rhyming text encourages children to guess what the next character will be, which gives a chance for lots of audience participation when you read this book. I do think it's best suited for a preschool storytime for ages 4 and 5-they'll be the ones who can offer up guesses of what animal the children would be.

The illustrations have a 70's retro feel to them (which I love) and hopefully kids enjoy them as much as I do. The illustrations are full of details and the pictures add to the story, giving us more background about why the kids choose the animals they do.

While I think this would be great for storytime, I'm interested to see how kids respond to the illustrations and if they catch the details in the story. This would be a great discussion book for parents and children as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment