Monday, March 21, 2011

Mars Needs Moms by Berkeley Breathed

2007/40 pgs

About the Book: A young boy believes his mom is so mean! But when he witnesses his mother's kidnapping by martians, he realizes he needs to save his mom-and that maybe moms aren't so bad.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: Berkeley Breathed's Red Ranger Came Calling is a tradition at my house, but I had never read Mars Needs Moms. With the movie version coming out, I figured I needed to check it out.

Mars Needs Moms has the same charm as Red Ranger, but less magic. The illustrations are fantastic-they manage to be cartoonish and lifelike at the same time. The story wasn't my favorite Berkeley Breathed story and it was a bit too sappy for my tastes. But it is a great tale of boys and their mothers. I'm sure the movie will differ greatly, since there are only 40 pages of the book to pull from.

No comments:

Post a Comment