Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Wonderstruck" by Brian Selznik

608 pages

"Wonderstruck" begins with two stories that take place 50 years apart. In 1927, young Rose feels isolated and lonely in New York City, as she is deaf and can't communicate with any of her peers (her parents are overprotective and keep her close to home, so she has never interacted with another deaf person). In 1977, 10-year-old Ben lives in Minnesota with his aunt and uncle because his mother has recently died in a car accident. On top of that, Ben has also been struck by lightning and subsequently lost the hearing in his one good ear, leaving him completely deaf. He has never known his father, but after finding evidence of his identity Ben decides to find him. Rose and Ben's stories weave together, with Rose's told through Selznik's beautiful drawings and Ben's through text. As the story moves along, it is revealed how their lives intertwine.

I love Brian Selznik. I love "The Invention of Hugo Cabret." I really really love Selznik's drawings. I didn't think he could top "Hugo," but I think "Wonderstruck" at least comes really close. Not only are the images in this book beautiful, but the story itself is also delightful--well, I think it is. Maybe the oh-so-charming drawings are influencing the way I read it :). Nevertheless, I love everything about this book. It's got adventure, sorrow, and the warm-fuzzies. I had fun trying to put the two stories together and figure out how they intersect. I felt happy and satisfied at the conclusion. Awesomeness! Thank you, Sarah Bean Thompson, for sharing the advance copy with me so I didn't have to wait until the book actually comes out on September 13!

1 comment: