Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt



264 pgs/2007

About the Book: Holling Hoodhood is a Presbyterian. Which means on Wednesday afternoons, Holling stays in school while everyone else attends religious education classes. But Holling is stuck and he thinks Mrs. Baker hates him-now she has to stay around and teach one student. So Mrs. Baker decides to teach Holling about Shakespeare. Holling is about to have a memorable year full of adventures he never could have imagined.

SarahTeenlibrarian Says: I wanted to read this book because Okay for Now is getting some Newbery buzz and while it's not a sequel, it's a companion book. Plus, I've heard so many rave reviews for this one, I finally had to read it.

I'm so glad I finally listened to all those people who told me to read this one! It's hilarious, charming, sweet and wonderful all at the same time. The year Holling has is somewhat fantastical (as in it's so crazy you can't believe it's really happening-but this is fiction after all). Holling learns about friendship, growing up and even a touch of romance during his year with Shakespeare.

I listened to this on CD and the narrator was fantastic! I highly recommend this book, especially on audio. A wonderful treat and I can't wait to read Okay for Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment