Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman



352 pgs/2010

About the Book: Brewster aka Bruiser was voted the most likely is school to receive the death penalty. No one in school knows what to think of him and he keeps to himself. Brewster has good reasons for closing off the rest of the world-secrets that he can't share. But when Bronte and Brewster start dating, Brewster finds it harder to keep himself closed off and his secrets are about to be exposed.

SarahTeenlibrarian Says: I'm a big fan of Neal Shusterman's books because they have such unique plots that really make you think. Bruiser is no exception. I can't say much, because it's best to read this one for yourself and discover the truth about Bruiser. But the story is one that will make you think about what you take from people and how much of your emotions you should be responsible for.

I do think there were a few things that could have been explained more. I would have liked more about Bruiser, but part of the book is just accepting his story, no questions asked. I also thought there were some plot points, especially with Cody, that really weren't needed. It did seem like there was some filler there. I also really hated that Cody's voice was done by a girl on the audiobook. I guess she sounded OK enough, but she made Cody sound too childish. But I guess it's hard to find a narrator that can successfully pull off a young male voice.

Bruiser has short chapters which I think makes it a fast read and the story is engaging and different, so I would give this one to readers who are looking for something that's not ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment