Monday, June 27, 2011

"A Tale Dark and Grimm" by Adam Gidwitz

256 pages

Do not let any little kids read this book, the author warns. These aren't your traditional wussy fairy tales. There are heads being cut off, deals with the Devil being made, parents turning their kids into birds, and much more awful stuff. Hansel and Gretel are the stars of the show. The well-known story about their journey into the forest and the crazy old lady who traps them is included, but there's also much more. Here, we learn what happened before and after the familiar story.

I love this book! It's a funny, interesting twist on a classic tale, and I like all the action. It's a fast read that kept me on my toes. My favorite part is Gidwitz's commentary throughout the book, in which he makes snarky comments and repeatedly urges readers to send small children away before continuing the book. Fantastic all around!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the commentary too! I also loved how all the stories wove together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great! Thanks for the recommendation, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete