Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer and the City: a Carrie Diaries novel

by Candace Bushnell, 409p.

Carrie Bradshaw has finally made it to the city - at least for the summer.  As Carrie begins her summer of writing in New York, she beings to change into the Carrie she thinks she should be.  This is also the summer she meets Samantha Jones and Miranda Hobbs (love!) and definitely falls for the love of her life: New York.  After all of this, how will she ever be able to go home?

Just when I thought I couldn't read another book I didn't like, along came "Summer and the City."  Blargh.  I liked the original book, and I loved the show, but this is just.... blargh.  I don't think I can handle another insipid prequel.  And why do I get the hint of an after-school special?  I respect these characters, and I respect the fact that this is a YA novel and that Candace Bushnell is trying for a different audience/gets what is appropriate for this age group.  I still feel annoyed that I took time out of my life to read this book.  Maybe once she gets to college it will get a little less saccharin... maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment