Monday, June 27, 2011

Putting Makeup On Dead People

by Jen Violi, 336 pages.

After Donna's dad died 4 years ago, she's had a hard time letting go.  It has definitely shaped her world view in more ways than one.  So when the idea to attend mortuary school comes up, she can't not do it.  Her family has huge reservations, her friends (except for the amazing Liz and Charlie) think she's nuts.  But this is more than a fascination with death - it's all about shedding the past and finding herself.

I loved this book more than I thought I would.  I think it really highlights the idea that there is SO MUCH growing up that happens in that year between leaving home and growing up that I feel like I talk about so much.  But I say it because it's true.  Donna totally changes in the book.  As does her family.  What I loved more than anything was this whole idea throughout the book that people grow and change and it is HARD to recognize that in most instances, and that you just have to try to stick to your guns without burning too many bridges as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment