Monday, June 27, 2011

Good Eats 2: The Middle Years

by Alton Brown, 431 p.

This should have been called "Good Eats 2: The Sad Attempt At A Second Book Which Should Have Just Stayed A TV Show," but nobody asked me.

I really love the show, but I just could not love the book for itself.  Alton's demeanor on the show is silly and wonderful with just a touch of mad scientist.  However, Alton's voice in the book comes off as elitist or pompous.  Perhaps it's perceived on my part, but it left me feeling disappointed and a bit depressed.  On the other hand, having his recipes in hand was AMAZING.  I love his stuff (how could you not) and digging through Food Network's website whilst trying to find them is never fun.

Verdict:  if you need an Alton fix and want his recipes, check out the DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment