Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Fever (Chemical Garden #2)" by Lauren DeStefano

341 pages


At the end of Wither, Rhine and Gabriel finally escaped from the home of the vicious Vaughn, who forced Rhine to become his son's third wife and used Gabriel as a servant. Now, in Fever, Rhine and Gabriel learn that their troubles are far from over. They fall right into a trap in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Even when they eventually escape, they find that the outside world is far more perilous than they could have imagined. They are determined to get to Manhattan to find Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. No matter what they do, however, they can’t seem to elude Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.


This book isn't my favorite, but it kept me entertained. I'd probably like it more if I got to know the characters better, but I feel like I barely know them, especially Gabriel. There's plenty of action in this story, unlike the first book in the series, but sometimes I felt like it was just a lot running around without much of a purpose. I still have a lot of trouble with the main premise because it just doesn't make sense to me, but I'm going to give the series the benefit of the doubt and hope that more is explained later on. Despite its flaws, the story does make me interested in what's going to happen next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment