Thursday, May 31, 2012

Blue Exorcist: Volume 3

by Kazue Kato, 203 pages

Rin's feeling pretty confident after defusing a dangerous situation and bonding with a grieving demon cat. But a mission to a haunted amusement park introduces him to a new adversary (of sorts) brought in by the mysterious Mephisto. It also leads to the revealing of the true identity of what he thought was just another of his classmates. But Shura's no student and making friends is not her mission...at least, not her official one.

Demon kitty I like; Mephisto's little sibling I find interesting; but I do not like Shura, with her too-small bikini top and obvious visual fanservice role. If she were drawn differently, I'd be fine with her character, but she's probably my least favorite so far just because I find her design mildly offensive in an otherwise pretty thoughtful, balanced action series. That outfit is just so impractical and uncomfortable-looking that it disrupts the reader's ability to suspend disbelief. I can accept affectionate two-tailed demon cats who get drunk on catnip sake, but I cannot accept that bikini top. *sigh* In my head, she's a pale wanna-be imitation of Gurren Lagann's Yoko, whose sex-appeal I could get behind because she was just that cool (and the guys got as much exposure as she did--equal opportunity!). Ah, the little things we get hung-up on....

No comments:

Post a Comment