Sunday, July 31, 2011

Vacations Over! Return of the Dinosaurs by Joe Kulka



2010/32pgs

Kids love dinosaurs and the premise for this book is prety silly with some humor for adults thrown in. The text rhymes making this a great read aloud and the illustrations are bright and colorful. I thought it was cute until poor T-Rex comes home and finds his Fluffy Foo Foo turned into a rock complete with a picture of skeleton Fluffy near a water bowl looking like he wanted water and food but T-Rex abandoned him. I HATED that page! Why did the author have the throw in a dead dog?? Maybe I'm overly sensitive though. I read it my husband and he thought it was hilarious and I read it to a group of kids and they loved it. So I guess I'm the only one who can't handle dead dogs!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one, but I'd probably be right there with you about the dog. There's an episode of Futurama that I will never watch again where they play a faithful Hachi-like dog's demise for black humor--except it makes me cry! I like me some bleak funny now and then, but not at the expense of warm fuzzy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way Jenny! I can't take dogs dying!!

    ReplyDelete