Sunday, July 31, 2011

Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly



2010/278pgs

About the Book: Drea loves music and spends her time mixing. She's moved from place to place with her mom who can't seem to hold any job or boyfriend for long so Drea doesn't have many friends. Add in her diagnosis of ADHD and "a touch of Asperger's" and Drea's been told she has some issues.

Now she and her mother have moved in with her grandmother. Drea meets neighbor Naomi and new boy Justin, and both seem to actually like Drea and want to spend time with her, issues and all.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I really, really liked this book. I was surprised by how engaged I was in this story and how much I enjoyed it. Drea was a wonderfully engaging, interesting character. I never felt that Drea was a caricature of a character with her diagnosis, but instead felt very real.

Naomi is the most "out there" character of them all, but she's a troubled girl and I understood why she was the way she was. I never felt the author got preachy with Naomi's issues and story and the story never got messagy where it could have at the end.

Ultimatly, this is a story about a girl finding her way and understanding and finding herself. I was pleasantly surprised by it and I recommend it to readers of contemporary YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment