Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney



2010/332pgs

About the Book: When Alex wakes up in the bed of a stranger and no memory of the night before, she knows something is wrong. As the night comes back to her, she realizes she was date raped. Her elite private school who believes the students are perfect won't help, so Alex goes to the secret group the Mockingbirds for justice.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: This book is a contemporary book about an important topic. The book approaches the topic of date rape delicately and I think readers will connect with Alex. I liked the use of classical music to help tell Alex's story-I thought it added an interesting layer and I'm a music nerd, so I liked that Alex was musical herself. I did think the Mockingbirds are a bit too perfect and I think the way they get what they want was a bit too easy and perfect. I just didn't really get why they would be so respected, especially since they couldn't really enforce the punishments since they were student run and the administration didn't know about them. I also liked that while Alex went to the Mockingbirds and was afraid of telling the school, at least she found a good mentor and adult figure in her piano teacher. I hate when the adults are always the bad guys, so it was nice to have an understanding adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment