Sunday, July 31, 2011

Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill



2010/368pgs

Black Hole Sun is an action packed science fiction adventure. I like science fiction, but it's not always the easiest genre for me to follow because of all the science and technology jargon. This one was no exception. There's a lot of futuristic language and technology that the author never explains, he just throws it into the story and lets the reader figure out what it means. This was a bit jarring to read since it took me awhile to really get the setting. I also had some trouble following the action scenes that took place in places on Mars that I couldn't quite picture-but that could just be me and I'm sure readers who read science fiction more regularly wouldn't have that problem.

The characters are fun though and I liked the snarkiness of Durango, Vienne and Durango's AI, Mimi-the banter between them kept me reading.

But overall, I felt there was too much going on and the plot was jumpy. There were lots of things introduced and never resolved (this is book #1 in a series, of course). It was fun and engaging, but a bit sloppy at times which made it hard to keep up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment