Sunday, July 31, 2011

"I Am J" by Cris Beam

326 pages

J is a 17-year-old who feels like a boy mistakenly born in a female's body. He's felt like that for as long as he can remember.When he finally shares his secret with his mother and his best friend, Melissa, they reject him. Crushed, he decides to run away and finally become the person he was supposed to be. Of course, his plan doesn't go at all the way he expected.

I haven't seen any other books from the perspective of a transgender teen, so I think it's great that this book is out there. It seems like the author did her research and has some knowledge about what it would be like to be in J's shoes. On the other hand, the main storyline is fairly predictable and I'd like it more if the pace was a little faster. Also, the ending is too perfect and fairy-taleish for me. Despite all that, it still held my interest and I'm happy to see a book that touches on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment