Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sellout by Ebony Joy Wilkins



2010/272 pgs

Sellout was a YA novel that I wasn't sure what I thought of. I thought it was a bit preachy and predictable. But I also liked part of it as well.

I didn't really understand why Natasha's grandmother, Tilly, felt she was so far removed from her "roots" and needed to spend the summer with her. Natasha had spent previous summers with Tilly in Harlem and the only event leading up to Natasha being sent this summer is that she looses a ribbon during a ballet recital. Apparently it was very offensive to her grandmother that she was taking ballet. I would have liked more reasoning behind why Natasha was so far removed or at least a better explanation as to why it was important.

I also thought Tilly was a bit maniuplative. She claimed she wanted Natasha's help at the girl's home she volunteered at, but instead I felt like she used that as an excuse to get Natasha to be part of the house and the therapy the girls attended. It felt sneaky and made me not like Tilly.

The book got better towards the end, but did have a cheesy over the top feel good message. But some readers may need a cheesy over the top message and the story as a whole was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment