Sunday, July 31, 2011

Six Rules of Maybe by Deb Caletti



2010/336pgs

I think the biggest reason I wasn't a fan of this book was that I listened to it on audio. The narrator was pretty terrible. She had the worst range of voices I've ever heard from an audiobook narrator-her male voices sounded all the same and like a girl trying to sound like a boy just by talking lower, which made all the male characters sound dumb. She ran out of various female voices, so the main characters friends all sounded airy and flighty and valley girl-ish which I didn't think fit them at all. The only reason I kept listening was because I had to have this one read for Gateway committee.

The story itself was good, although I really hated the Scarlett liking her brother-in-law plotline. I never really understand why she was attracted to Hayden. It was more like he showed up and she was enamored-no real reason to be. The stories with the neighbors added a nice mix to the story, but the book was mostly ruined for me with the Hayden/Scarlett storyline-I could have done without it since I thought it was boring and not well done. I wish the focus had just been on Scarlett and the rules of maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment