Friday, March 4, 2011

Boiling Point






by K.L. Dionne, 294 pages
I needed a fast read for an airplane trip, so I picked up this thriller by K.L. Dionne. All the main characters converge at Chaiten in Patagonia. At first they are antagonists, but later they join forces to try to escape the sudden eruption of a supposedly "extinct" volcano. In a way the characters seem like a cast for a disaster movie: the mad scientist, the earnest environmentalists, the egotistical tv star and his put-upon crew. I finished it because I wanted to know who survived, if anyone.

The descriptions of the forces that the volcano unleashes are pretty gripping, but some of the plot points were extremely implausible (think Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones, or Pierce Brosnan driving a SUV over a road covered in burning lava in Dante's Peak). I didn't like the ending, so I think that colored my overall view of the book.

I'm a big disaster movie fan, but this book just didn't make the cut for me.
Cate K.









No comments:

Post a Comment