Monday, February 28, 2011

Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke

2010/182pgs.

About the Book: When Zita and her friend come across a meteor, the find a red button remote. Of course, curiousity gets the best of Zita and she pushes the button, sending her best friend to another planet. Zita soon follows and embarks on a journey in a strange new world to save her friend.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I read a review of Zita the Spacegirl on Betsy Bird's blog and knew I had to check it out. Zita is a great new addition to middle grade graphic novels and I can't wait to start booktalking it. Zita reminds me a bit of The Wizard of Oz, Gregor the Overlander, and Astro Boy all rolled into one and set in space. Zita's adventures are exciting and fun and she meets a great cast of unique characters along the way.

One thing I love about graphic novels is the way the artist can connect the reader to the characters and portray emotion in a powerful way. Ben Hatke excels in that and there were characters I grew to love in this short graphic novel. I hope there are more of Zita's adventures to come.

The artwork reminds me a bit of Kean Soo's Jellaby, one of my favorite middle grade graphic novels, and I'm always a sucker for full color when it comes to graphic novels! The artwork is colorful and detailed and packs a lot of emotion into the small frames.

A great new middle graphic novel-add this to your reading list if you work with tweens!

No comments:

Post a Comment