Sunday, February 27, 2011

Essex County: Volume 1: Tales from the Farm

by Jeff Lemire, 104 pages

Lester lives on a farm with his uncle Ken after the death of his mother. Having never known his father, and having difficulty dealing with the changes and absences in his life, his adjustment to farm life and his connection with his uncle do not go smoothly. The one place Lester finds comfort and escape is in his imagination as he writes a superhero comic filled with perhaps more personal wishful thinking than he realizes.

Oh, this story made me sniffle. It also made me smile. The art is wiggly and messy and bold and makes everyone look as fragile as they really are on the inside, however big or gruff or hidden under a cape and mask they may be on the outside. This was recommended on NPR (and in Kim's earlier review) and I'm glad I picked it up. Now I'd like to read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment