Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Something Strange and Deadly" by Susan Dennard

400 pages

"Parasols, corsets, and zombies!" That's how the description on the back of this book begins, and that pretty much sums it up. Eleanor Fitt, a young woman in late 19th-century Philadelphia, has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing after a trip to New York, and her family has fallen on hard times since the death of her father. Her mother is convinced that the only way to save her family is to marry Eleanor off to any rich young man who walks by. But those troubles seems like a walk in the park after the Dead begin to rise all over town. And, even worse, Eleanor learns that whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who have been hired to protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, things get more dangerous and her very life is at risk.

I thought I'd like this book more than I did. I think I was disappointed because I recently read Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel, and this is very similar. Both have the following: a steampunk vibe; a missing brother and a sister on a mission to save him; a dashing, mysterious love interest; and similar conclusions. It all made this one feel predictable, which may or may not be fair but there it is. That said, I did enjoy a lot of this story. I love the fiery, feisty Eleanor and how she refuses to step aside and let the boys do all the work/have all the fun. Also, it's a fast-paced, fun read with lots of action. Although it wasn't my favorite zombie story, it was definitely worth reading and I plan to read the rest of series. (Thanks for the advance copy, Sarah!!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds exactly like Clockwork Angel! I'll put it on my maybe list. :)

    ReplyDelete