Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner

2011/208pgs

If you have readers who are fans of contemporary novels, be sure to hand this book to them. The story follows two teens who recently had a friend pass away. One of Scooter's last requests was to find his dad and return a signed copy of Of Mice and Men to him. In order to fill his request, Jaycee and Nick decide to travel to the one place they think his dad may be in New York.

I liked the premise of a road trip novel, but it wasn't really as much of a road trip I wanted. They only had one stop and I felt like it wasn't as exciting as I had wanted it to be. Jaycee spent a good portion of the book sick with a fever, which I felt could have been cut down. I also thought a lot of things were brought up only on the surface and never explored much further. Jaycee and Nick also solve the mystery of Scooter's father fairly quickly.

This is one book I wish had been longer-I would have liked more details to the story. It was a interesting story and a great debut and I think fans of contemporary fiction will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment