Wednesday, November 30, 2011

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

2011/354 pgs

I have loved Gabrielle Zevin's two previous YA novels, so I went into this book with high expectations. Luckily I was not disappointed!

The book is set in a future where the government has more control, things have been rationed due to supplies running low, and some items, such as chocolate, has become illegal. Anya is the daughter of a powerful chocolate boss who runs a chocolate company-chocolate is still legal in other countries, plus the government is corrupt enough to trade favors when needed and look the other way.

While the book has a dystopian aspect to it, it really felt more like a 1940s Mob story but set in the future. The future setting isn't so distant (Anya's grandmother was born in 1995) that it feels too futuristic. Instead it felt like a contemporary novel with some changes. The society Anya lives in isn't explained with too many details and I hope as the series continues, we find out more about the world she lives in.

There's a star-crossed romance to the story as Anya and the new DA's son start to fall for each other. I have to say props to Anya for not falling into the love at first sight trap! She even mentions at one point that it was too soon to say she loved Win, which was a bit refreshing after reading many "he's the one for me" YA novels.

The story is a bit quiet, but I felt that fit the book well. The dystopian setting is light and this isn't an action-packed book by any means. I was sucked into the story and I liked Anya, so I wanted to stick with her. Plus, I felt this fit the Mob mood of the story-quiet and cool.

I loved it and I by the time I got to the ending, I wanted to start all over and read it again. I can't wait for the next installment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment