Sunday, November 27, 2011

Abhorsen (Abhorsen: 3)

by Garth Nix
(2003 | 358 p)


I'll be honest, I waited entirely too long to write this review and now my memory of the story is fuzzy. I remember enough to say (with relative surety) that Lirael has finally come into her own as the Abhorsen-in-waiting. Sam is mighty relieved that he no longer has to wield the bells. Lirael and Sam, along with the Disreputable Dog and Mogget, continue on their journey to find Sam's friend Nick who has gotten in with some bad sorts. In fact, Nick is inadvertently funding the end of the world as well as playing temporary host to Orannis, the nasty who will bring that horror to fruition. Talk about hanging with a bad crowd! Disreputable Dog continues to be a loyal and true companion to Lirael, while Mogget acts as untrustworthy as possible. There were brief appearances by Sabriel and Touchstone (my favorite duo), but they are again only supporting characters in Lirael's story.

This was a fun little series and I'm glad I read it. Still, I would have liked to learn more about Sam's powers as a Wallmaker (what does that mean, really?) and about Lirael's ability to see into the past. Neither plot point was really explored. There's a follow up book called Across the Wall that may scratch that particular itch for me. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment