Monday, July 25, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie



2010/384 pgs

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I don't think I need to give a summary, since so many people have read this one already. I know there are lots and lots of readers who are big fans of this book, but I'm not one of them. I don't know why, but this book just wasn't for me.

For the most part, I got frustrated with the characters. I thought they were bland and boring. I didn't think Cassia was all that interesting and I just never cared about. And what made her like Ky other than the fact that he was forbidden? I hate love triangles to begin with, but I really hate when the girl decides she's in love with the new dark, mysterious boy for no reason other than he's dark and mysterious. Ky didn't have much depth for me and I found him annoying. Even Xander wasn't all that interesting and we didn't really see him enough for me to really care about it.

For most of it, I felt like Cassia was whiny and selfish. She's also somewhat of a wetrag character. She gets some guts in the end, but not enough for me to really cheer her on. I hated how she doesn't want to tell Ky what first made her notice him-that she saw his face on the card, but then she gets all hypocritical and gets mad at him for telling her that he noticed her because of the match.

I didn't like the worldbuilding. I felt like the society wasn't explained well enough and we got glimpses of what could make a cool story, but it never gets developed. It felt very much like the world from The Giver, which really bugged me. I wanted to know how the society was formed and why and I wanted more explanation about all those pills.

So while some readers might think this is a great dystopian, I'm not a fan and I don't plan on reading the others in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment