Saturday, July 30, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story

by Ned Vizzini
444 pages

I saw this movie first and got into a disagreement with my mother about the fate of one of the characters. I decided to read the book to prove her wrong. Well, the movie isn't exactly like the book, so we'll never truly know who is right (me!).
Craig Gilner is a depressed 15-year old in Manhattan who decides he is going to kill himself. So, he calls the suicide hotline. They tell him that he should check into a hospital. He goes to the emergency room at 5 o'clock Sunday morning and ends up in the Adult Psychiatric ward of the hospital for a five-day stay. He soon meets and makes friends with the patients and comes out of his shell, as it were.
I found this to be a very honest and hopeful story with a very believable narrative. I could really relate with the character of Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment