Monday, July 25, 2011

Law of Attraction

by Allison Leotta, 279 pages

Assistant U.S. Attorney, Anne Curtis, is a relatively new prosecutor, but she's had enough experience with domestic violence cases to know that the victims have a hard time breaking out of the cycle of abuse.  When Laprea Johnson, shows up in her office the day after Valentine's Day battered and bloody, Anne vows to do her best to see Laprea's abuser behind bars.  But when Laprea lies on the witness stand, there's nothing Anne can do to stop her abusive boyfriend from walking free.  Several months later, when Laprea turns up bludgeoned to death, Anne is drawn into the prosecution for Laprea's murder.  Despite fearing a conflict of interest, Anne's boyfriend is a lawyer for the defense, Anne promises Laprea's mother that she'll make sure Laprea's killer is brought to justice.

I found this on a list of promising debut thriller authors, and I'm glad I picked it up.  I haven't read many thrillers, sadly my experience with "thrillers" prior to this is limited to episodes of Law and Order  and the occasional summer blockbuster.  Leotta's book read a bit like both of these.  The plot kept me engaged and all law and police procedure seemed to be handled with expertise.  Leotta is a domestic violence prosecutor herself, and I think that translated well to the page.  This is another one I couldn't put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment