Saturday, April 30, 2011

"There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom" by Louis Sachar

208 pages

No one at school likes Bradley Chalkers, not even the teachers. He bullies the other kids, and they tease him in return. He never does homework and has never gotten a single gold star for good behavior or good grades. His only friends are his collection of stuffed animals and figurines. Then Jeff moves into town and is friendly to Bradley, while the school gets a new very unconventional counselor who seems to like him. For the first time, Bradley begins to question his status as the "monster" of the fifth time.

I love this book! I read this book as a kid, but I didn't remember much about it and was very glad that it didn't disappoint this time around. The characters are very lovable despite their flaws, and the kids' antics cracked me up. It's a quiet story without a lot of major events, but the fifth graders' thoughts kept me entertained. I think this book has a great message for kids but it doesn't beat them over the head with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment