Saturday, April 30, 2011

One Hundred Poems From the Japanese by Kenneth Rexroth

"In the eternal
Light of the spring day
The flowers fall away
Like the unquiet heart."

Kenneth Rexroth is a celebrated poet in his own right but in this collection he provides a translation and basic introduction to Japanese poetry and how it differs from Western poetry. Each poem is translated by Rexroth with the original Japanese language and then characters printed below. A short biography of each poet is provided in the back.

I admit that if I go to a bookstore without a certain book in mind, I tend to get in trouble. This book was one of three unexpected choices that called out as I browsed the poetry section. I've always enjoyed Rexroth's poetry and I suppose the current events in Japan also pulled me to this simple tome. This is a good introduction to Japanese poetry and is a quick and reflective read. I am struck by how a few simple words can evoke such an emotional response from the reader. 1955, 140 pages.

Hisa kata no
Hikari nodokeki
Haru no hi ni
Shizu kokoro naku
Hana no chiruramu

~Ki No Tomonori

No comments:

Post a Comment