Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hellsing: Volume 10

by Kohta Hirano, 191 pages

Ultimately, all the immortals in this series want the same thing. Alucard is just particular as to the manner in which he gets it. Those of us who've grown the teeniest bit fond of him (despite the gruesome insanity that generally accompanies his existence) should be thankful for that pickiness, as he quite vocally does not approve of the means by which his various opponents offer to grant his request and, so, refuses to take them up on it.

This is the final volume of the series. While I have enjoyed it overall and will miss Alucard's unique presence, I think my limited tolerance for wanton bloodshed and seemingly random plotting also means I'm a little relieved. Some elements I would have liked to see fleshed out never get addressed after they're introduced, while others seem to wrap up too quickly and neatly. And yet some bits are really creative and thought-provoking. And many others make me laugh, though some uncomfortably so. In the end, I'll always think of Alucard and his cohorts with a chuckle...and a wide-eyed headshake for the sheer madness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment