Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds



2010/256 pgs

About the Book: Homer's epic poem about Odysseus trying to return home after the Trojan War transferred into a graphic novel format.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I had to seek this one out and read it after The Odyssey knocked out my pick One Crazy Summer in SLJ's Battle of the Kids Books.

It's an impressive undertaking to transfer this poem into a graphic novel format. Some might think because it's a graphic novel it would be easier to read, which isn't the case at all. It's still a very dense book with a lot of detail and a of story. It's also not toned down at all for young readers. This is The Odyssey, complete with gore, fighting, blood, backstabbing, sex, betrayal, and death.

For the most part I enjoyed the graphic novel, although the ending where there was blood all over the palace and suitors speared everywhere was a bit gross. (It is very gory!) But the way the author kept true to the story and almost brought it to life through the illustrations is quite impressive. He also had to pare down the text so it would fit within the confines the graphic novel panels. I don't think he lost the meaning or the beauty of the poem and the art and text work together well to tell the whole story.

I do think it would be interesting to use this version in the classroom so readers can have a visual element to go along with the text. I think a lot of readers would respond to the story even more if they had both.

I have to add my side tangent about The Odyssey. I always get annoyed at Odysseus. He goes off and cheats on Penelope with various goddesses, because you know, he was under a spell and all, and Penelope stays and home and fights off the advances of many suitors-for 17 years. Doesn't really seem all that fair if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment