Sunday, March 27, 2011

"The Chosen One" by Carol Lynch Williams

"The Chosen One" by Carol Lynch Williams
213 pages
Kyra has known one kind of life on her family's polygamist compound.  She knows multiple mothers, many siblings and her father's unending insistence that they all show obedience to the Prophet and his God Squad.  In one fell swoop - a single afternoon - Kyra's childhood comes to a close.  She is chosen by the Prophet to wed her uncle, a man many times her age.  Kyra has two secrets that will keep her alive when decides that she cannot face this marriage.  Two unlikely friendships - one on the inside of her compound and one on the outside - will become the catalysts for her breakaway. 

Williams' story is quick and gripping. Her central character - Kyra - is unflinching and the reader feels her determination and her devastation.  Williams' is careful not to make promises through minor characters.  The outcomes are unlikely right to the very end.  This was a Gateway nominee title deserving of the spotlight.

4 comments:

  1. I am fascinated by FLDS stuff and this was the first teen book I read about the subject. Very well-done, I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fascinated by that culture too and felt this title was lacking somewhat. Guess I'm more pulled into all the physical and sexual abuse that goes on in these compounds and maybe those are a little too much for what the author intended to put out there.

    I'm going to try "Keep Sweet" by Michele Dominguez Greene. It's still YA but sounds a little edgier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved this book! I love Kyra-especially that books are her escape. Fantastic book and I'm so glad it's on the Gateway list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I did a podcast of this one: http://kirkwoodpubliclibrary.org/content_uploads/the%20Chosen%20One%20book%20talk.mp3

    ReplyDelete