Monday, January 24, 2011

"Matched" by Ally Condie


369 pages

I really got into this book at first, but I became more disappointed as I read. The world that serves as the backdrop for the story is not original--it has elements of "The Giver" and other dystopian novels--but it still captured my interest for some reason. In "Matched," The Society is designed to control all aspects of citizens' lives: where they live, what their job is, what they eat, whom they marry, even when they die. This is supposed to enable the Government to create perfect lives for everyone. Cassia is 17 and has just been matched to her best friend, which means they will get married when they turn 21. But then she starts to fall for a different guy who makes her question everything about the Society and the way they operate. Pretty standard plot for a dystopia, with more romantic appeal than usual. It felt a little like "Twilight" to me in the way that Cassia falls hard and fast for Ky and the romance feels kind of shallow at first, but I like her more than Bella because she isn't as overdramatic and seems more sincere. Anyway, I don't think "Matched" lived up to all the buzz that it had going, but I'm definitely interested enough to finish the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment