Friday, January 28, 2011

"Beautiful Creatures" by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


563 pages

"Beautiful Creatures" is about Ethan Wate, a high school sophomore, who plans to escape his small Southern town as soon as he can. He disagrees with the values that most people in his town have, and things have been difficult since his mother died and his father subsequently became a recluse. Then a strange new girl named Lena arrives. She and her relatives are Casters, beings who have supernatural powers. Ethan finds himself falling hard for Lena, but on her upcoming 16th birthday she will be Claimed for dark or light.

I was confused a lot as I read this book, but I still got into it. I really engaged with the characters, especially some of the ones on the side including Link, Amma, and Marian the Librarian. The romance is a little too "Twilighty" for me--the characters meet, fall in love quickly, and suddenly don't know how they lived without each other. However, this story is told from the guy's perspective, which is interesting, and the characters aren't as whiny or overdramatic as the ones in some other teen romances. I also like how the authors weave a lot of humor into this dark story. What I don't like is the length of the book; a lot feels repetitive and I think a lot could have been cut out. There are 500 pages leading up the climactic battle between good and evil and then the ending is a bit of a letdown, as it seems to be merely setting up the sequel.




No comments:

Post a Comment