Monday, January 24, 2011

Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories by Zack Whedon

2010/78pgs

About the Book: Five vignettes tell background stories on Penny, Captain Hammer, Moist, the ELE, and of course, Dr. Horrible.

Sarah Teenlibrarian Says: I am obsessed with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog. The songs are pretty much in a constant loop in my head, I watch the DVD on a regular basis, and as any devoted fan, I will take any bit of Dr. Horrible I can get until Joss Whedon hopefully decides to bring us more. So of course, I had to check out the Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories comic.

The stories are perfect for fans. Since they are written by Zack Whedon, who was also one of the writers of the webisodes, so I trusted he could give us some fun insight into these characters. We get a look at Captain Hammer and his view on heroes (Captain Hammer: Be Like Me!), some background info on Moist (Moist: Humidity Rising), and a look into Penny's life before that fateful day with the van (Penny: Keep Your Head Up). While these three comics were good and I enjoyed reading about the characters, there were two comics that stood out and had the feel of the web series.

Dr. Horrible starts with an early look at Billy as a child and gives us a glimpse at what might have sparked his interest in supervillinay. It also gives us an early encounter between Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer and goes well with the series as it sets up Captain Hammer as Dr. Horrible's nemesis.

The story about the ELE (The Evil League of Evil) was my favorite of the collection. The league characters cracked me up and I thought the story was full of the quick-witted jokes that are one of the reasons I love Dr. Horrible in the first place. This story is worth picking up the collection for!

Overall the stories go well with the web series and it's a great addition for Dr. Horrible fans. While the artwork at times isn't my favorite, the stories make up for it. If only it too came with a soundtrack, the comics would be perfect! Highly recommend to any Dr. Horrible fan and will leave you wanting more Dr. Horrible. Please Joss, give us more?

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Horrible is so awesome!! I have only seen the web series, so this will definitely have to go on my to-read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. I did not know there was a Dr Horrible book. We will have to get that at UCPL. Great start for January for the QuickWitLitNiks--99 titles and the month is not over yet. WE need more snow days to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaddya mean snow days? We don't need no stinkin' snow days!

    ReplyDelete