Saturday, December 31, 2011

Vagabond: Volume 33

by Takehiko Inoue, based on the novel Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, 202 pages

Kojirô, as he does everywhere he goes, instantly and effortlessly endears himself to the people of Kokura on Funajima Island, where he's made his new home. Meanwhile, a spiritually renewed Matahachi sets out to return the name he stole. And Musashi misses a date with destiny (ear plugs will do that) and slips namelessly out of the world for a while only to wander once more. Has he lost the light, after all?

The change to a future perspective the last two or so books has me both happy and sad: happy, 'cause I know storytelling Matahachi lives; but sad, because he seems to be saying the story isn't so pleasant from here out--what does that mean!? I don't know my Japanese history that well, so all the ominous comments frighten me, as they remind me this isn't a purely fictional tale where the author can make it all ok in the end; there is a set path he's following to its set destination and I don't know that I want it to go there!! Ignorance was so blissful, I could pretend it was possible for it all to be ok for everyone I care about, but now....

Now, I have to wait as patiently as possible for wonderful Mr. Inoue to write and draw some more books. After taking a break in 2010 to concentrate on his health and replenish his well of motivation, he announced in November that he has returned to drafting the series. Joy! I'm so glad he found his muse again and look forward to seeing just where he and history and creative license ultimately take dear Musashi and all those with whom he's crossed paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment